Wollongong City Gallery is one of the largest regional art museums in Australia, with a major collection of colonial works of the Illawarra, contemporary Australian and Aboriginal art. As well as semi-permanent exhibitions of works from the Gallery’s collection, temporary exhibitions of local, national and international art change regularly. The Gallery also features an external public exhibiting space, with the capacity to display up to 27 panels. The Gallery occupies the former city council administration building, which was officially opened in 1952, and was converted into an art gallery in 1991. The floor plan of the building evokes the shape of a jewelled crown, commemorating the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Lift access to all levels is available for those with mobility difficulties.