Ladies In SA, Interested In Developing Your Career In The Music Industry? Check Out Our Scholarship!
Ladies of South Australia - LISTEN UP. We're partnering with Music SA to create a scholarship to develop the career of a female South Australian music industry professional! That's right, one amazing woman will have her Certificate IV in Music Business funded by moshtix - applications will open in September 2017 through Music SA's website.
The announcement was made Monday night at Music SA's workshop, "The Cultural Shift", which discussed the gender imbalance in the industry. This scholarship is just one part of a list of goals set out by Music SA to address the issues of barriers for women trying to forge a career in the music industry.
Check out these quick facts around women in the music industry:
· According to the Australia Council for the Arts, 80% of songwriters are men. 70% of music teachers are women.
· 1 in 5 musicians (21.5%) registered with APRA (royalties collection agency) in Australia are women.
· 30% of public board members on peak music industry bodies are women.
· Out of 225 artist managers surveyed in 2016 102 were women.
· 80% of independent record labels in Australia are managed by men.
· Music Victoria research in 2016 has shown that the confidence gap between men and women applies widely.
· Even in the "world's biggest musical democracy", Triple J's Hottest 100, women have an equal vote but not equal representation with women constituting 48% of voters but only 21% of acts.
· Research at La Trobe University has found that unwanted sexual attention is a significant problem faced by women going to live music events.
· Most job opportunities in the music industry are not formally advertised and so this limits merit-based selection.
If you're a woman in South Australia who wants to make her mark on the music industry, make sure you keep your eyes glued to our news as well as Music SA's website for further details about the application process as they become available!