Applications Are OPEN NOW For Our Female Music Industry Scholarship In SA!
We're so excited to let you know about the brand-new scholarship we've created in partnership with Music SA to assist in developing the career of a female South Australian music industry professional!
The scholarship, for a Certificate IV in Music Business, will be funded by us, and will be offered to a South Australian woman through applications on Music SA's website. We're proud as punch to be a part of this, and to be addressing the barriers for women trying to forge a career in the music industry.
Did you know? Here's some quick facts around women in the music industry and the the inequalities and barriers that they face:
- According to the Australia Council for the Arts, 80% of songwriters are men. 70% of music teachers are women.
- 1 in 5 musicians (21.5%) registered with APRA (royalties collection agency) in Australia are women.
- 30% of public board members on peak music industry bodies are women.
- Out of 225 artist managers surveyed in 2016 102 were women.
- 80% of independent record labels in Australia are managed by men.
- Music Victoria research in 2016 has shown that the confidence gap between men and women applies widely.
- Even in the "world's biggest musical democracy", triple j's Hottest 100, women have an equal vote but not equal representation with women constituting 48% of voters but only 21% of acts.
- Research at La Trobe University has found that unwanted sexual attention is a significant problem faced by women going to live music events.
- Most job opportunities in the music industry are not formally advertised and so this limits merit-based selection
The full-time Certificate IV in Music Business course commences in March 2018 through Music SA, located at the St Paul's Creative Centre in the CBD. Applications are now open through 30 November 2017 on Music SA's website!