Basic Horse Handling with Clare Lindop
Have you ever thought about a job in racing but don’t know where to start - come and learn the foundation skills from legendary jockey Clare Lindop and registered Racing SA horse retrainer Sonya Little from Lincoln Park.
Racing careers are predominantly outdoors; good for mind, body and spirit and all round health.
Working alongside animals can be very satisfying and this course will provide you with a unique introduction to the racing industry and knowledge of what happens behind the scenes in the racing industry, including stable-hand, trackwork and other industry related roles.
- Safely approach, catch, control and lead horses
- Perform routine stable duties, cleaning, mucking out, feeding and watering horses, groom horses, daily care and welfare responsibilities.
- Get an understanding of the structure of the racing industry and explore race day operations and racing employment opportunities
The course is designed for people who are:
- Interested in animals, learning new skills and industry specific terminology
- Hardworking and enthusiastic
- Ability to carry out physical tasks
- Can work in a team environment
- Experience with horses may be helpful but not all jobs need past experience, and training can be facilitated.
An Introduction to Horse Handling session will be held at Lincoln Park at Monarto on Saturday, November 27 from 10.30am – 12.30pm, followed by a complimentary lunch.
The course is $50, which covers costs to use the facilities at not-for-profit Lincoln Park, with limited spots available.
Course suitable to those 13-and over.