CHECK OUT THE LATEST
Triple j have released a statement informing listeners that they haven’t played any Bliss N Eso tracks since MC Eso was caught posting misogynistic photos to Instagram, and they won’t start again until their audience is ready.
“We haven’t played any Bliss N Eso on triple j since Monday when this incident happened,” said the station in a statement today. “We appreciate that Eso has apologised and believe his sincerity. We’ll wait on the audience sentiment before playing the band again.”
MC Eso, or Max MacKinnon, this week posted a series of sexist photos with waxworks of Rihanna, Raquel Welch and Lady Gaga on a recent visit to Madame Tussauds in Hollywood. Amongst the photos was one that showed the MC threateningly holding his fist up to Rihanna, referencing her 2009 assault by then-boyfriend Chris Brown.
Following backlash from fans and his fellow Australian hip-hop community, the MC has since taken down the photographs and issued two apologies, one through his Instagram account on Tuesday and then a video apology posted to YouTube today.
“While I immediately realised the photos I posted were offensive and expressed my regret for posting them, it has only been through reading people’s comments over the past few days that I’ve come to appreciate just how hurtful and damaging these are to women,” Eso said in the video.
“Violence against women is unacceptable and something that should never be joked about. While I appreciate the support from my loyal fans, what I did cannot be excused.” Earlier this week many had taken to social media, appealing to triple j to boycott the Bliss N Eso’s music.
Triple j have been huge supporters of Bliss N Eso over their career and their music has enjoyed widespread radio play on the station.