Johnny Depp Recuits All-Star Lineup For Pirate-Themed Album
Written by Mike Hohnen on 11th December, 2012
CHECK OUT THE LATEST
It’s getting pretty hard to spot the differences between Capt. Jack Sparrow and Johnny Depp these days. First he buys an island to live on, now the iconic film star and absolute dreamy dude has hit the rolodex, pulling some massive names to join him on his new project, Son of Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys.
The pirate compilation has attracted the likes of Keith Richards, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave and the one person you couldn’t make a pirate themed album without, Tom Waits. The album itself will be facilitated through Waits’ own record label Anti Records.
Reportedly, Pirates of the Carribean directer Gore Verbinski is also said to be heavily involved in the process, according to. Verbinski features with Depp and The Pogues’ Shane MacGowan for the lead single off the release Leaving of Liverpool.
Courtney Love, Angelica Houston, and Macy Gray are also involved, with just too many other musicians and actors to list.
For those who have been paying attention, this is actually the follow-up to Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys, which was released back in 2006 on behalf of Depp and producer Hal Willner, though it looks as though the 2nd time round wasn’t as easy: “About a year ago I secretly thought we would never finish.” Willner explains, “As easy as volume 1 was to coordinate, this was the opposite, but it is a very different record than volume 1. This one seems…happier? Not as much about torture, sodomy and death, which will disappoint some, but we don’t need to repeat ourselves do we?”.
Depp has been scratching his musical itch pretty good lately, being spotted on stage with The Black Keys, Alice Cooper and old mate Marilyn Manson.
The album will come as a double disc release. Full tracklisting Ahoy!
Son of Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys – Track List
1. Leaving of Liverpool (Shane MacGowan w/Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski)
1. Sam’s Gone Away (Robyn Hitchcock)
3. River Come Down (Beth Orton)
4. Row Bullies Row (Sean Lennon w/Jack S**t)
5. Shenandoah (Tom Waits w/Keith Richards)
6. Mr. Stormalong (Ivan Neville)
7. Asshole Rules the Navy (Iggy Pop w/A Hawk and a Hacksaw)
8. Off to Sea Once More (Macy Gray)
9. The Ol’ OG (Ed Harcourt)
10. Pirate Jenny (Shilpa Ray w/Nick Cave & Warren Ellis)
11. The Mermaid (Patti Smith & Johnny Depp)
12. Anthem for Old Souls (Chuck E. Weiss)
13. Orange Claw Hammer (Ed Pastorini)
14. Sweet and Low (The Americans)
15. Ye Mariners All (Robin Holcomb & Jessica Kenny)
16. Tom’s Gone to Hilo (Gavin Friday and Shannon McNally)
17. Bear Away (Kenny Wollesen & The Himalayas Marching Band)
1. Handsome Cabin Boy (Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention)
2. Rio Grande (Michael Stipe & Courtney Love)
3. Ship in Distress (Marc Almond)
4. In Lure of the Tropics (Dr. John)
5. Rolling Down to Old Maui (Todd Rundgren)
6. Jack Tar on Shore (Dan Zanes w/Broken Social Scene)
7. Sally Racket (Sissy Bounce (Katey Red & Big Freedia) with Akron/Family)
8. Wild Goose (Broken Social Scene)
9. Flandyke Shore (Marianne Faithfull w/Kate & Anna McGarrigle)
10. The Chantey of Noah and his Ark (Old School Song) (Ricky Jay)
11. Whiskey Johnny (Michael Gira)
12. Sunshine Life for Me (Petra Haden w/Lenny Pickett)
13. Row the Boat Child (Jenni Muldaur)
14. General Taylor (Richard Thompson w/Jack S**t)
15. Marianne (Tim Robbins w/Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
16. Barnacle Bill the Sailor (Kembra Phaler w/Antony/Joseph Arthur/Foetus)
17. Missus McGraw (Angelica Huston w/The Weisberg Strings)
18. The Dreadnought (Iggy Pop & Elegant Too)
19. Then Said the Captain to Me (Two Poems of the Sea) (Mary Margaret O’Hara)
(Photo: Nick Cave)