CHECK OUT THE LATEST
Last night at Dublin’s Olympia theatre while belting out Butterfly off her latest album, Canadian singer-songwriter Grimes was shocked by an actual electric shock, mid song.
Reportedly running into technical issues, resulting in faulty interplay between her pedal and earpiece, Grimes was given an unexpected electric shock to the head. This was followed by slight delays as her technical team worked through the issues so her show could go on, which as a trooper she did.
Grimes quickly reassured fans, via Twitter, that she was OK. “Dublin! 1 mil apologies that my pedal failed and I was electrocuted, but there r tears in my eyes that y’all were so so wonderful,” she tweeted (and then deleted) right after the show.
Rather than blaming the promoters or audio team for the complication, she took it in her stride in true Grimes style. After the show she explained on Instagram just how baffling the problem was for both her and her trusty team. While waiting to board a 12 hour flight a few hours later she wrote a heartfelt post to her fans.
“I was getting gunshots through the vocal channel into my monitors. Perhaps it was an angry ghost… I just wanted to say something so no one loses their job or gets in trouble for an issue that, as far as I can tell, was outside of everyone’s control.”
The fans reiterated their devotion to the performer by singing Happy Birthday for her at the show. Her social media sites were flooded with birthday love, well wishes and messages of thanks and support for continuing to be the super professional performer that they know and love.
It seems not too much damage was done either, with Grimes also posting a rather appropriate Simpsons image.
See fan-shot footage of the incident as well as Grimes’ Instagram posts below.
15/03/16 I saw Grimes ?? @actuallygrimes and @hanatruly were absolutely amazing. Grimes I'm so sorry you got electrocuted so many times ?? but you really did make my life love love love ??????????? #Dublin #grimes #claireboucher #hana #hanatruly #video #bestnight #ofmylife @jake_mercer #inspirationalwomen #dedicated
Hey! just wanna apologize to the Olympia theatre that I originally thought they were responsible for the electrical issues at last nights show. We've triple checked everything and haven't yet discovered what the issue was. The Irish promoters were nothing but lovely and I don't want them to take the blame for something that was most likely on our end. I also want to reiterate that everyone on my team and especially my audio guys did everything they could without stopping the show, but it was some kind of an issue w the vocal channel so even whilst bypassing the pedal I was getting gunshots through the vocal channel into my monitors. Perhaps it was an angry ghost. Anyway this probably doesn't make any sense to non-musicians, but w regards to the inside baseball I just wanted to say something so no one loses their job or gets in trouble for an issue that, as far as I can tell, was outside of everyone's control. Anyhow haha, apologies for the long and insane post, about to get on a 12 hour flight so hopefully this won't cause further press drama. :) and thanks again to the Irish fans!!!! I cannot reiterate how grateful I am to y'all for letting us trouble shoot between songs and for singing me happy bday and being all around jovial. Xxxxx Ps: Photo cred: @aisling_kraus